A pedestrian is defined as defined as anyone on foot, walking, running or jogging. Pedestrians are more often than not, unfortunate victims of accidents of which they had little or nothing to do with the cause.
New York’s Department of Health tells us that in 2016:
- 320 people were killed in motor vehicle accidents
- Pedestrian fatalities accounted for about 31% of all traffic fatalities. A figure that shot up from 27% in 2012.
- Alcohol was a factor in 21% of all crashes.
- 15,346 pedestrians were injured in crashes.
- Driver inattention/distraction, failure to yield right-of-way, and pedestrian/bicyclist error or confusion respectively, were the top three contributing factors in fatal and personal injury crashes.
Furthermore, between 2012 and 2016:
- 46% of the pedestrian fatalities occurred in New York City, 31% occurred Upstate and 23% occurred on Long Island.
- 40% of all fatal pedestrian crashes occurred from 6pm to midnight, while 42% of all personal injury crashes occurred from 3pm to 9pm
- 47% of the pedestrians killed were ages 55 and older, while 49% of the pedestrians injured were ages 15-44
- 65% of the pedestrians killed were male
There is nothing worse than being a victim of any accident that you are not the cause. More so when you happen to be a pedestrian. If you have been so unfortunate, let the law firm Auto Accident Attorney NY come to your defense in helping you claim the appropriate compensation that is owed you to help you pay your medical bill, rent, children’s school fees, and other incidentals that you might be unable to fulfill while you are incapacitated.
Our pedestrian accident lawyer New York has what it takes to not only represent your interest, but also to ensure that we do everything in our power to secure the just and adequate compensation you deserve, if you are ever involved in a car accident.
If you’ve been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact a pedestrian accident lawyer in NYC today by filling out the form to the right and lets get started with a free consultation to determine how we can help you.